Cheers to Unexpected Friendships

I recently had a conversation with my good half (because I'm better--lol) about a friend who contacted me out of the blue.  Before I went on with the story, I tried to describe my connection with said friend, I could tell he was confused because as I was trying to explain, even I thought, "With that background, how the hell did we become friends?!"

I'll try to explain it now:

There's Friend 1 (the person who contacted me) and Friend 2.  When we were younger, we were active in our Church but we belonged in rival groups.  Funny enough, we had "cliques" in the Church.  Lol.  Anyway, Friend 1 and Friend 2 were childhood friends.  The three of us then became linked to a fellow Church server.  Friend 1 and Friend 2 had their puppy love triangle with the guy, then some time after, I had a puppy love triangle with the same guy and Friend 2.  Friend 1 joined my Church group for a time and so we developed a friendship (and that's how I found out about their triangle).  Then, after some clique wars and blog wars (yes, blog wars) with Friend 2, we moved on with our lives.  After a while, we three somehow got reconnected and even formed our own chat group, found out the truth about everything, laughed at the past and our younger selves, and even shared a coffee session.  Sooo. There.

Anyway.

Friend 1 recently contacted me after saying she recently managed to catch up with Friend 2 about her life and she remembered that their last face-to-face contact was with me.  Said occasion was a coffee session more than five years ago.  That was also my last conversation with Friend 2.  Since Friend 1 and I still managed to go out about five years ago, we managed to catch up with each other's lives pretty quick, and promised to see each other, together with Friend 2, when the pandemic's over.

Realizations:
1. Some friendships remain no matter how long ago your last conversation was.
2. On one of our topics: funny how connections with someone you were so close to can end in a snap, no matter how deep or old your connection was, while other less deep friendships survive.  But I guess that's the risk of having deeper connections--you can have more power to hurt the other person.
3. Still on one of our topics: funny how one can tolerate someone's personality over some time, then wake up one day and realize there's no need to tolerate, and that it would actually be better to let go of the person.
4. Friend 1, Friend 2, and I matured when we last saw each other, and now, matured even more.  We're freaking adults.

Friendships really do differ.  Glad to have found friends in Friend 1 and Friend 2.  They may not be the first ones I call in times of crisis, but it's nice to see them once in a while to mull over the paths we've taken and laugh over our immature pasts.

(originally posted on April 24, 2020; re-posted with edits)

Comments

Popular Posts